Skip to main content

The Mandatory Year End Post

What's the point of having a blog if you cannot do a meaningless year-end post? So here goes for no one, my wrap-up of the year, as per my blog's tradition.

Easily the worst year I have seen? Yep.

The longest I have ever stayed away from home or not seen my parents? Yes.

If I got a chance to go home, would I run? Yes.

And I know that doesn't even cut the long list of troubles I have seen others go through. But, somewhere between songs called F*** 2020 and memes canceling 2020, somewhere, this year also became a year where I grew up a lot. I had more time, I had more patience, I wanted to learn more, I wanted to try more things.

And just like that, 2020 became the year I did a lot!

I started a podcast with a friend, which taught me more about content creation than anything else. The whole process of researching, recording, editing, marketing gave me so much to think about. Shameless plug, if you like hearing about psychology, do give it a listen here: https://theworkbrain.buzzsprout.com/ or on Spotify or Apple or wherever it is you listen to podcasts.


I researched and wrote columns for The Decision Lab consistently. I realised very early, into my 2nd article, that blogging was very different from writing a column. After a bit of struggle and patience, I learnt how to combine research with my style of humorous writing. I am nowhere close to where I wanted to be, but it was not a bad start. Again, shameless plug: If you like reading about behavioural science, do read my columns here: https://thedecisionlab.com/author/preeti/


I am not lazy by any standards, but I am also not a health or fitness freak. I never went to the gym regularly. Hated the idea. But, when the lockdown was imposed in Singapore, the only way to be out without a mask was to run. So, I ran. 1-2k initially, then hitting 5k and finally 10k. I learnt so much about myself through running. I now call myself a runner. Still cannot believe it. I don't do 10k all the time, but 5k is common and given I was doing 1k on treadmill once in 4 months earlier, I can live with this.


I also started learning Carnatic Classical Violin. I love it! All the things I hated about going to music classes earlier, I now love. I wait to come home and practice. I love sitting still for an hour and concentrating on the strings. I cannot wait to get better at this next year.


I also read 30 books. Which is a good 20 less than last year, but also, I did so much more that I thought it was ok to read a little lesser. Oh I forgot, I also wrote 30 poems in 30 days. Some good, some so bad, I am ashamed. :P

So there. Those were the highlights. There were other things like work and stuff. But honestly, in this continuum of slow passing moments, which at the same time felt too fast, I am just thankful and grateful to be able to get a chance to try my hand at so many things. I am also just really thankful for people around me (physically and emotionally) who just keep encouraging me to keep doing new things. It's probably the best gift they could ever give me. 

When I grow up, I will be like that to others. :D

So that's that for 2020 then.

2021, I have no big expectations for you. No pressure. I don't need anything big - no huge holidays, promotions or any of that shit. 

Just be normal. That's all. 

Just be normal for everyone. 

And that's my wish for all of you - may you have a 2021 that's all things normal - normal life, normal schools, normal offices, normal conversations, normal meeting families, normal so normal that you are almost bored. But yeah, that level of normalcy is my wish for you and the world.

Happy holidays!

Cheers!

Preeks







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi