Skip to main content

Day 14: The Change Prompt

 THE CHANGE PROMPT


The only constant in this world is change. Have you been affected by any changes lately? It could be your job, hobbies, or the people that you hang out with. Changes happen everyday. Is this your perspective in life? What triggers you to change? Write a poem about your changes.


Change is the only constant. I propose to change our Fairy Tales. Here's Cindrella with a twist.


Cinderella on Insta


In 2020 lockdown, a girl named Cinderella was stuck,
Living with bad roommates and even worse luck.
They kept the house dirty and her OCD kicked in,
She kept cleaning all the time, spreading herself too thin.

Between the non-stop zoom calls and the messy house,
She didn't have time to even wear a decent blouse,
Tiny, dirty, ragged, overworked and tired,
Her friends joked she was the maid they never hired.

Then one fine night, her friends got drunk and
Before they knew, an Insta live party was planned.
They finally had a chance to get ready,
To enjoy with others and dance already!

Cinderella looked at her pyjama
And said with a bit of melodrama,
No one really cares what I wear, 
I'll wear my pyjama, to herself she declares.

The day of the party arrived, 
Cinderella woke up, sleep deprived,
I cannot wear a pyjama, what was I thinking!
They already think I'm a maid, now they'll think I'm drinking.


As she worriedly cradled her coffee cup,
A shiny pop-up on her phone lit up.
"Are you looking for a dress to wear?
Our rented clothes will end your despair!"

For a second, Cinderella was creeped out,
What else does this app know about?
But then, the chance to reprieve her pride,
Made her put her worries aside.

She selected a subscription and paid the price,
Then found a dress that seemed nice.
The dress was to arrive at 8 pm that day,
And by 12 am that night, it had to be sent away.


When the dress arrived, she jumped up in joy,
All work and no play didn't make her no dull boy.
She was all pumped up to show them she was cool,
Yes, she loved cleaning, but she was no fool.

In her lovely black sequin dress,
The whole room she could possess,
She straightened up and puffed her hair 
And walked through perfume in the air.

Then she turned on her Insta live,
Only to go into a major crash drive.
Everyone looked ragged and dirty,
Because, it was a PYJAMA PARTY.

Oh my god, Cindrella cried,
Her heart sank and died.
How? How could she not have known
That a pyjama party was being thrown?

As the others stared at her,
Things started to blur,
She excused herself and made a call,
Asking the app to reverse it all.

"Oh, but Ma'am, you have already paid,
Subscriptions cannot be cancelled, I'm afraid.
It is almost like you are now our slave,
You will take this subscription to your grave."


Dismayed, Cinderella looked at the watch,
It's almost 12 am, cried her fake Swatch.
In her mind, she made a devious plan,
She decided, she would convince the delivery man.

When the doorbell rang,
With her best smile, up she sprang.
"Oh hi there, how you doing?
How are things? What's brewing?"

And then when she looked at him,
She let out a squeal on a whim.
The delivery-man, Prince, looked amused.
His smile, naughty, but innocence infused.

Unable to let the drama on any more,
She told him the story of the dress she wore.
"Ah, I see, I understand your problem,
Get me a scissors and don't look so glum."

He took the scissors and expertly made a slit,
It looked like the dress was torn just a little bit.
Then he called the customer care and cried,
"This lady tore the dress and then denied!!


I strongly recommend we cancel her plan,
Women like her deserve a lifelong ban,
She cannot respect a dress as it is,
I say, we don't need you, sis."

Ten minutes later, her amount was refunded,
As she changed into pyjamas, her heart pounded.
Prince and she were engulfed in laughter
And they lived happily every after.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi