Skip to main content

Dizzying Heights of Moral High Grounds

My absolute favourite dialogue from Schitt's Creek (which is also my most absolute favourite show) is when Moira Rose warns her husband, Be careful, John, lest you suffer vertigo from the dizzying heights of the moral ground.”


I hear this dialogue and nod vigorously, every single time.

Is it just me or has our need to take moral high grounds increased? There's a sudden pressure to take a stand on everything. God forbid, you are indifferent to something. Oh by the way, you don't just have to not be indifferent, you also have to share the exact same high ground with everyone with the exact same opinion.

Logically speaking, I see two problems with this amazing situation we find ourselves in.

First Problem: The higher the moral ground you take, the higher the chances you will fall off it. 

True for anything physical. True for anything philosophical. Case in point - Someone taking a stand and saying, I am always environmentally conscious, will find themselves in various situations having to defend their habits. If you care about the environment, why do you take flights? If you care about the environment, why do you eat non-veg? If you care about the environment, don't take cab rides. And so on. 

The word "always" increase the height of the moral ground by a few 100X. And hence, increases the probability of not just a fall, but a bad fall.



Second Problem: The more people taking the moral high ground, the more crowded it gets.

No one likes crowded places. And especially not when it's at a height. So, when too many people start taking the same normal ground, one of the two things happen - 

First, you try to increase the height of your moral high ground. 

"Oh you care about the environment? I am a vegan. Beat that."

So, now the new height to reach is veganism. So whoever was climbing up your height, now has to climb higher.

The other thing that can happen is, you start filtering out people to decide who gets to stay at this level. 

"You claimed you care about the environment, but you took a cruise. Please leave this moral high ground right away."




The world of indifference, on the other hand, is spectacularly underrated. Indifference does not mean not having an opinion. It could just mean that they decided their opinion is theirs to keep. Having to share it publicly and then decide how high their moral ground achievement is, does not interest them. 

Because moral ground is relative. 

For me, say, 200M is already high. I can feel my vertigo there. But for an activist, maybe, that moral ground is 1000M. And for an armchair activist, because they never really have to take action, their comfortable moral high ground is 2000M.

So should people not have opinions? Absolutely not. My only perspective on this is, think about:
  1. What you are doing to change things
  2. What you are getting by taking a ground that forces everyone to look up at you
  3. How comfortable is it to stay at that height
  4. How much worth your precious energy is to keep hanging on to that height, when you could live comfortably and happily without taking a public moral stance

Here, I quote the famous, indomitable, Keanu Reaves:




Keanu Reaves is now my gold standard of living. 

Don't engage, don't make bold statements, be happy, be indifferent. 

Care for things, but care in a way that you, personally, can act on them and look at yourself in the mirror and know you did your part. Not to take part in a discussion, where your stance forces people to crane their neck up and look at you, while you, you at the top of that dizzying moral high ground, are actually scared of heights and not really enjoying yourself either.

Now, excuse me, while I climb down my high ground and channel my inner Keanu Reaves.

Cheers
Preeks











Comments

  1. The access to social media has made it difficult to steer clear of discussions...staying on the fence is no longer a viable option for those who consider themselves to have even half a brain. I can only imagine how tough it might be for real intellectuals to suck it all up and keep mum whenever they have an opinion on a topic.

    But you're right... unfortunately the only way left to cut out the noise is to skip the concert.

    P.s: The armchair activist comment was killer! 😂

    Cheers,
    CRD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi