Skip to main content

The Smiley Dilemma :) :(

In my humble opinion, Whatsapp has single handedly ruined our emotional intelligence. Its not the chat that causes problems. Its the unavoidable inclusion of smileys in the chats that has changed how we communicate. Forever.

Let me explain.

Take this chat, for example:



Interpretation: 
I am happy that I quit this fu#$ing job. 
It feels awesome.
I will party tonight.





























Now this:



Interpretation:
Holy Shit. Why did I do this?
I don't have another job in hand. 
Why would I do this?
Do you know of any openings?
Oh God. How will I tell my parents?



























OR this:




Interpretation:
Couldn't take it any more.
I hope this boss rots in hell. 
I hope someone tells him GoT spoilers.
I hope he gets a horrible reportee.


I hope they didn't mind the dramatic smashing of the laptop I did today.
I hope they clear my dues and give me a relieving letter.
Oh God. Shit.





















How about this one?




Interpretation:
I am so drunk.
Wake me up when this is over.


Pay for me please? I'll pay you back when I get a job.

Lol.

I quit.























Are you getting my point? Our conversations are now interpreted by evil smileys. They decide how we are to be judged. It's scary. Can you imagine what this will do to how we interact with people? When I was a kid, the only smileys we got were on our notebooks. Smiley face for good work. Do you know what this will be like when your kids go to schools? 

:) - Good Work
:( - Bad Work
:P - What were you thinking?
:D - That was funny. I will have to mark you low for this. And also, probably send this to the Principle
;) - Nice try, kiddo.
:-/ - Kid. How many times do I have to tell you to re-check your answers?
:* - Hi Baby. Its nice when you get your kids assigned to you, no? 

Shudder.

I tell you. Shudder.

I propose we start a viral movement - "Ban Smileys or lose your smile."

In case you are still not convinced, I have one more case study. Check this one out and I am sure, you will become torchbearers of the movement.

Case 1:



Interpretation:
Fairly simple. Ingenious. Genuine happiness.

Or.

Or.

I am putting a smiley face to show you that I am ok with you having fun with your friends. When I am actually seething here.
























Case 2:



Interpretation:
Haha. Lol. Aur bolo friends se touch mein rehna hai.
I know you are dying to get home and watch Suits with me. But whatever, you asked for this. Now suffer!




























Case 3:



Interpretation:
Hope you are having fun. While I sit alone at home.
I am not trying to make you feel bad for me. No, wait. I actually am.






























Case 4:



Interpretation:
You do know this means you will have to make up in some way, right? 
I downloaded 3 romantic comedies. 
We are having only veg food for the next one week. 
I told the maid to take the next week off. 
I booked a hotel in Colombo. 




























And the worst of them all, the one with no smiley:


Interpretation:
Is she angry?
Is she ok with this?
Is she planning something?
Can I do this again?
Oh god, give me some hint, lady.





























*All characters and situations appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead or situations, is purely coincidental.*

Anyway. You get my point? This Smiley invasion is changing our lives, one :) at a time. Before you know it, we would be encased in little yellow balls, ruining our lives, interpreting our statements, making us say things we never meant to and mean things we never said.

I urge you once again. Join "Ban Smileys or lose your smile."

Sincerely yours.
Preeks :(
Oh sorry, I meant Preeks :)
No, I mean Preeks x-)
Damn. I mean Preeks :-X

Please. Lets do this.

Comments

  1. Hahahaha, some analysis this.
    True that, the smileys are taking over our lives.
    And my problem is that people don't interpret some smileys the way I do :O

    CookieCrumb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you mean :O or did you mean :) ?
      Think about it.

      Delete
  2. Cryptic lives we are living!

    :P

    or :|

    or ;)

    Go figure.

    And have you wondered how different are hehe, Haha, lol, hahaha and ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! This calls for another blogpost. :P :)

      Delete
  3. Hahahaha... I know. Smileys are taking over and when someone sends me something without a smiley I begin to wonder what they are thinking. I have even seen people who have started to put tongue out while talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go. Side Effects. All the more reason why we need to thinking about this!

      Delete
  4. That's a pretty 'perfect' analysis. The interpretation of most chat sessions, statuses and sometimes even comments - they're all dependent on the emoticon that follows.
    I shudder to think what'll happen if those emoticons find their way onto our posts or books !

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg, you did a phD on whatsapp smileys Preeti :P :) Hehehe.. loved the post. I use a lot of smileys while chatting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahh! i know! emoctions are everywhere these days, in unwanted and unnecessary abundance! guess what, a movie on Emoji's is coming soon :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? An Emoji movie? Despite this post, I want to watch the movie.. I think its a pretty cool idea! :)

      Delete
  7. LOL. I cant join this preeks. Sorry. Like you said, the one without the smiley is the worst one. Murali is one of those worst kind in conveying his feelings. His texts are always blank statements like your last one and I really don't know how to interpret it. :D And when I see a text from him with a smiley (any kind of yellow icon, actually), I jump up in joy. So, for the sake of ppl like me and the happiness I get once in a blue moon, please save the smileys, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. This is a problem. There might be many like you. Do you know what this means? Smileys could lead to a conflict and a war. o.O

      Delete
  8. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I better start taking a look at all the emoticons .. I hardly use them .. MY bad .. :) :)


    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi