Skip to main content

Outrage At Home

After a tiring Mumbai trip, I walked into the house late this evening. Sherlock was traveling. So I knew I had the house to myself. I wanted to read. Watch a random movie. Play the piano. And sleep early. But they had other plans.

That's right. I walked right into a protest march in the house.

As soon as I opened the door, I heard a flurry of activity. The TV switching on. The sofa rearranging its cushions. The remotes climbing on to the table to make themselves visible. The utensils from the kitchen had arranged themselves on the ground. The guitar was sitting on the bean bag. The piano had started playing some loud music.

I walked into the room, in a trance and started removing my shoes when the TV cleared its throat and spoke, "Look here. You may be a human and the owner and all that. But treat this as an intervention. We are done with you."

Before I could speak, he continued. 

"Just because you pay my bill doesn't mean you can do what you want. Please tell your husband that there is a limit to how much sports I can show. Last week he discovered that I can show two screens at one go, so now he wants me to show Football and Cricket at the same time. You can drive and you can walk. Show me how you do both at the same time. Show now. Why aren't you showing?"

I felt my face going red. 

The Tata Sky remote squealed, "You think you can press any button you want? Can I press your nose? Can I press your eyes? Can I keep pressing your cheeks? Boss. There's a limit."

I was almost going to get up and run, when the TV remote intervened. "Arrey bhai. At least they use you. The only time they remember me is when they have to turn on the TV. Use and throw attitude. Last week my battery ran out. You know what these cheapos did? They took old cells from a clock, put it in me, turned on the TV and then removed the cells. Tell me. You are hungry. So I will give you a banana. Then I will snatch the banana from you and put it back in the shelf. Will you like it?"
By now, I knew they were serious. I was silently trying to put my shoe back on and escape, when there was a loud clang. The utensils. They started singing in unison.

"Throw us here, throw us there.
Leave us for drying in the air.
For 3 days, forget we exist. Don't care.
But when you want to cook, our bottoms you flare?

Tonight, the nation wants to know.
How crudely you mix the chappati dough.
How many times you let us burn black and glow.
You want proof? Our war scars we'll show."

"Here, Here!" Shouted the spoons and the forks.

I wanted to hide my face. But that was not to be. It was the sofa's turn. Slowly, he grumbled in a low angry voice. "You are angry? Come. Jump on me. You are sad? Come. Cry on me. You are happy? Come. Sit and eat cake on me. You are crying? Come. Rub your snot on me. You are dusting? Oh. Who sofa? What sofa? Sofa needs dusting? Since when. He's ok. He'll put up with anything. Even dust. Not any more, young lady. Not any more. I quit."

Behind me, the guitar and the piano had started playing the ominous song, "Bhool gaya sab kuch. Yaad nahi ab kuch!", to remind me how I hadn't played either since so long. The PS4 was beating its chest. The TV stand was threatening to collapse back into its un-assembled form. The vase with the beautiful pot-pouri was now telling everyone how she hadn't been "refreshed" since one year. The books were falling over themselves trying to tell their stories. The rubix cube twisted itself some more to make its point that it was angry.

Amidst the chaos, I realized I had lost. So for the past one hour, I have been cleaning the house. Dusting the sofa. Washing utensils and making them shine. Looking up new songs to play on the piano. Refreshing the scent in the pot pourri. Putting new batteries in the remote. Watching one channel at a time on the TV. And reassuring all my material belongings that I still care about them. We also took a selfie in the end.

A piece of advice from me. Listen to them once in a while! o.O

Cheers!
Preeks

Comments

  1. Lol. Okay, seriously, this was the best post ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same yesterday. But perspective was filmy and entertaining. Maybe this can be used for a one act play. Hahahhaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where where? I don't think I have your right blog address. I keep going to the blogger one!

      Delete
  3. I love cleaning the house! It's not everyone's idea of fun I know, but I think there lives a little bit of Monica in me somewhere :D

    I could totally imagine the speaking house, like Alice in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha. Actually, even I do. This was more of a dramatization! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi