Skip to main content

When We Revolt

Last week, I became a part of a revolt.

Unknowingly, unwittingly, I became a part of a mob.

It seemed like a turning point in my life of sorts.

It so happened that I was driving along the famed Silk Board Junction in Bangalore during peak hour traffic. 

For the unacquainted, in Bangalore, Silk Board is the equivalent of a black hole. It is forever in a jam, be it morning, evening, night, Saturday afternoon when the whole world naps, Sunday night when people retire early to bed - It doesn't matter to Silk Board traffic, it is in a perpetual jam mode.

In fact, we have a famous joke here:

Interviewer during job interview: Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
Job Seeker: Hopefully, i would have crossed Silk Board traffic.
Interviewer: Wow, you dream big. You are hired.

You get the picture? That's how it is here.

Anyway, so I was driving along Silk Board and one of the crossings there, was being manually managed by a Traffic Policeman. As is the rule, a sequence was being followed.

First, he let the people driving straight go. Then he let the opposite right turn cars go. Then the opposite left turn cars. Then the diagonal left to right cars. Then the diagonal right to left cars. Then the people from the South of South East corner going to the North of North East corner. Then the people with birthdays in November. Then the people who know how to walk on two hands. Then the people who like butterscotch ice-cream more than chocolate. Then the people traveling back home from Mars. And so on.

In this extremely long sequence, he missed our turn.

Oh, the outrage.

Oh, the anger.

Heat. Peak hour traffic. Getting late to work. And this unjust treatment meted out to us.


As soon as we realized he had mistakenly missed our turn, a couple of minibus guys around me honked to get the Traffic policeman's attention. He looked at us and gave an angry scowl. 


"How dare you tell me how to do my work?" is what I assumed the expression meant.

Not that we had much option. We sat through the whole sequence again.

The people driving straight. Then the opposite right turn cars. Then the opposite left turn cars. Then the diagonal left to right cars. Then the diagonal right to left cars. Then the people from the South of South East corner going to the North of North East corner. Then the people with birthdays in November. Then the people who know how to walk on two hands.Then the people who like butterscotch ice-cream more than chocolate. Then the people traveling back home from Mars. 

We turned  on our ignition in anticipation at this point. But hey, revenge is best served in the middle of a traffic jam. And so, the angry Traffic Policeman skipped us again.

And then again. Three times in a row.

Once, we let go. Second time, we all honked. Third time, revolt happened.

The minibus drivers started shouting and telling people to skip the instructions and just go. Many people started following their lead.

I sat for a while thinking how ok it is to break a rule, especially in front of the authority. Of course, I didn't have much time to think. Within 3 milliseconds, someone was honking behind me, till I gave in to pressure and broke the rule.

The traffic policeman looked in horror as mayhem broke out. We were out of turn and heading straight into a deadlock in the middle of the crossroads. By this time, cycle stand effect had happened. So the others on the remaining roads, to whom no real injustice was meted out, starting imagining something had happened to them too, and so they too started breaking the sequence and before we knew, we were all caught in the middle.

The people driving straight. The opposite right turn cars. The opposite left turn cars. The diagonal left to right cars. The diagonal right to left cars. The people from the South of South East corner going to the North of North East corner. The people with birthdays in November. The people who know how to walk on two hands. The people who like butterscotch ice-cream more than chocolate. The people traveling back home from Mars. 

All stuck in a cozy little jam in the middle, because of our revolt.

And I didn't even want to be a part of it. But there I was. A part of an angry mob, displaying their emotion by breaking rules and making their point by causing more chaos.

At that moment, I wished I was on Mars.

Maybe that's why Elon Musk wants to go to Mars. To start from scratch.

Comments

  1. You know what - by churning out such posts every time you are on the road or in a jam, you are stopping us from wishing for smoother drives for you. Tsk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! :D
      Aisa mat karo..Why would you do this to the poor girl? I will spend 1 hour of that free time from jams to sit and stare into the air and think about more posts. Promise!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi