Skip to main content

In My Humble Opinion

The other day, I was getting my daily dose of depressing news from the newspaper, when my maid pointed to a picture of Sasikala on the paper and asked me if I support her or OPS.  I shrugged and said, noone really, I don't have an opinion on this matter. I could literally see her image of me in her head come crashing down and her dusting the remains of my broken shattered self image into her dust pan. She was disappointed in me for not having an opinion!
I don't blame her. We have become an opinion hungry society. If you are not a card carrying opinionated bigot today, you are an uninformed person, living in a cave, trying to light a fire with two stones. You are expected to have an opinion on everything.
On topics related to our lives - Apple or Android? Beach or Hills? Eat pizza crust or leave it? Dogs or Cats? Books or Kindle? Books or Books converted to Movies? 
On topics not related to our lives directly - Trump or Obama? Right or Left? Amma or Anna? Didi or Dada?  56 inch chaati or 46 year old youth? Free or Regulated?
On topics so bizarre, 100 years later, posterity will laugh at us for even having an opinion on this - Blue dress or gold dress? Is Lata Mangeshkar above ridicule or no? Can a group of people get together and abuse roast each other or no?  
Frankly, it's a lot of pressure.
If it ends at opinions, it's ok. But, the problem is not just this. The real problem is what Eli Parser calls "The Filter Bubble". Let's face it, most of us get our news from social media. And most of the news feed we see in social media is a result of a personalized algorithm that runs in the background and decides what we should or should not see, based on our history, likes, browsing patterns, etc also called the filter bubble. Which in simple words means, the internet is deciding what news you see. What you see is not the same as what I see.
Which means that most of the time, our "news" consumption is actually a result of an automated algorithm. If you have liked someone's opinion in the past, you will keep getting to see his opinion on everything, again and again.
Which means your opinion is now not an unbiased one, because your news source is no longer an unbiased one.
If that is not scary, I don't know what is. This practically means that now we are opinionated bigots and we are only going to get more and more opinionated by the day as these algorithms get smarter. And isn't that already happening? Isn't our society way more divided than ever before?
Shudder to think what will happen next. Our next generation will be born opinionated, much like Abhimanyu in Mahabharat and we will need right wing and left wing sections in kindergarten. Lunch menus will have to be designed keeping in mind the factions in the food space - Pizza with crust versus pizza without crust, french fries dipped in ketchup versus french fries drowned ketchup, open cream biscuit and lick versus bite into cream biscuit. 
See, you have to pick a side. What if I don't care? What if I just want information and I digest that information and now I am happy to know about this, without having an opinion? 
What if knowing was enough for me?
Sometimes I think living in caves was better. Or Trees. I better pick one.

Comments

  1. Everyone wants everyone else go pick sides these days.This herd/mob/wolfpack mentality threatens to Rob us of our right to (have/not have) an opinion.

    Also, big data and analytics, and soon artificial intelligence will change the world as we know it. It could soon become possible to control our thoughts and opinions.

    Fingers and toes crossed.

    I'd pick caves.

    Cheers,
    CRD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi