Skip to main content

Back to the Jargon

If you have never taken a real hit on your self-worth, may I suggest you to try giving your car for service? 

The service person's diagnosis of your car will make you want to go home and tear into shreds that precious Engineering degree certificate that your parents have saved so proudly, along with a picture of you in the black graduation robes, and go join whatever course the chap in the blue uniform took, that gave him the ability to give such an astute diagnosis with such intellectual sounding words.

Like today, my service technician told me that, "There is an urgent requirement for me to get a zinc oxide coating on the Silencer because the existing anti rust treatment of the underbody was not sufficient for the silencer, since the special alloy based chemical composition of its exterior makes it immune to the anti rust coating and hence, is susceptible to damage from water and hence, the need for me to spend a holy Rs 4500 on getting this absolutely essential zinc coating on my silencer."

Ok. Here, take my credit card. 

You see what the Technician did there? He used his accurate understanding of human behavior to come to the conclusion that, bullshit baffles brains.

And this, I believe is the crux of all marketing. Correction, I think this is the crux of life. You can get away with anything, as long as you have dressed up your thoughts in complicated jargon. Because of a simple human truth.

Human beings don't like to look stupid. 

If something is put in credible sounding language, however incredible it actually is, people tend to believe it and not question it. They also start associating a certain expert-like quality to the person delivering it. If he is saying it this way, he must know what he is doing.

And that, in my humble opinion, is the Mantra to surviving in the big bag world. 

You will be surprised by how effective this can be. The other day, our company's admin department (Yes, this department still exists, and no, they do more than just organize the flag hoisting for Independence Day and I will prove this to you shortly) sent us this mail about their vision statement:

"Our vision is Enhancing Stakeholders experience through warmth & passion for excellence & to exceed stakeholders expectations with focus on quality, empathy and fairness"

After such a strong statement from them, who dare question the Admin department's efficiency or their usefulness? Not me. I have started  saluting the admin people when I run into them in corridors.

I am so inspired by this, that I have decided to use this Mantra in my daily life actively.

For instance, I thought the best way to get my maid to work is to impress upon her my background from the service industry. So I gave her a detailed presentation about EATCFD (Efficient Administration through Customer Focused Delivery). 

Unfortunately, this does not seem to have been in accordance with her values because she stopped coming for work. 

But, frankly, it beats me why she was not on board with this. I was only trying to systematically improve her revenue generation mechanism through improved Customer Centricity. 

Maybe it is not that foolproof a mantra. Sigh.

Cheers!

PS: Blog turned 8 years old this month. EIGHT. Woah. It's like a grown up child now.
Note: Bullshit Baffles Brains - Stanley Pollitt

Comments

  1. Your maid left because the goals you sought to get her aligned with were not meeting her career aspirations. You probably need to get back to the drawing board and review your objectives.

    Congratulations on the successful completion of 8 years in blogosphere. This warrants a grand celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waah. You are good at this! :D Drawing board is such a typical jargon!
      What grand celebration. The blog is dying! :(

      Delete
    2. Blog nahin, maybe blogging is dying. Nobody seems to be reading. I miss the time maybe 5 years ago when there'd be dialogue and conversations through comments. Anyway, I haven't completely lost all hope yet.

      I have a blogging community on FB. Wanna join?

      And hey, are you participating on this year's A to Z Challenge?

      Delete
    3. Speaking of jargon, there's another kind of jargon I've had to witness happening to some dear colleagues of mine recently, it's called 'restructuring'. Have written a poem on it, hope you like it.

      Delete
    4. Yeah! I agree. it used to be so much fun to see others comments and views. Random discussions. 5 years back blogging was at its peak. Would love to join the FB community!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi