Skip to main content

The Lure of the Dark, Dark World

In an ironical twist of events, I now find myself looking forward to Mondays. 

What's the secret to this, you ask? Immersing myself in dark, morbid entertainment over the weekend. That's the path to enlightenment.

It started quite innocently. One crime mystery show, with a little blood and gore. Then a few suggestions from Netflix. And then a few more. Before I knew, I was too far down the rabbit hole, tumbling along the dark dark world of crime, forced to come gasping out for breathe on Mondays.

And just like in Alice in Wonderland, I got curiouser and curiouser because in mirrors that are black, I saw our dark future, I made wrong choices in the stupor of turning into a Bandersnatch, I was stunned into hearing hard core criminals speak their mind and share their deepest darkest secrets. 

I know what you are thinking. Why did I not stop? Because Netflix is like an Indian mother feeding her kid. She cannot take no for an answer. 

Doesn't matter if the "kid" is now a 45 year-old grown up with 3 kids of his own. Every time there's food, it must be had in quantities that can save multiple countries from starvation. But then, we know that action is out of pure love.

Just like we know that Netflix means well, when it says, "Hey, looks like you enjoyed Mindhunters. Why don't you watch this new show we have which takes the dark to a new level - it has murder, it has stranger things, it has aliens, it has blood, it has vampires, it has criminals sharing their fantasies, it has psychological gore, it's darker than you can ever imagine. You'll like it." And you cannot say no.

So, there you are, in a strange time warp of darkness, watching show after show, and asking yourself existential questions, hiding behind the pillow at times, but sneaking out just in time to see that severed head resting on the killer's desk. 

And suddenly, a question pops in the head - how did we become so dark? Long back, there used to be a one-off show that was shown after 11 pm, which could be qualified as dark, although, by today's standards, I would happily categorize those as family dramas or even comedies. Did our preferences change? Or did too much choice reveal our true nature?

A study that correlates entertainment and personality types by Rentfrow, Goldberg and Zilca, shows that dark entertainment is preferred by those with low Conscientiousness, low Agreeableness, high Extraversion, and high Intellect. They go on to say that individuals with preferences for the Dark entertainment factor may generally see themselves as defiant, reckless, and immodest.

What does that mean? That we are all more defiant, more reckless and more immodest than before? And more importantly, does this work the other way around? Now that Netflix and the likes tell us what we should watch based on what we watched previously, if I saw one dark show, and now I am being bombarded with more and more darkness, will my extremely agreeable personality slowly change to defiant?

I don't know and I don't want to know. Which is why, I have been quite smart about my entertainment consumption. I watch all dark entertainment on my partner's login! 

On my login, it's only the happy stuff.

So, as per Netflix, I am a sunny personality, who loves comedies, is a hopeless romantic and has the most agreeable disposition you can imagine. 

Except. I hid my dark side from them. Guess who's one up on Netflix, huh?

As an aside though, I do think that in the interest of mental health, there will come a time when recommendation algorithms will be forced to do their bit to break us out of our stupor. After every episode of Black Mirror, they will be forced to make us watch an episode of Seinfeld or Friends. 

Even better, I think there's a business model here, waiting to explode. Pre-created preferences, which you can pick up and watch. 

Buy the "Sunny Disposition" login and get all your happiness needs met.

Till that happens, I am happy to give you my Netflix login. For Rs 1300 only. 

It's not too much of a cost to pay for the sake of your mental health. Think about it.







Comments

  1. And all this while, I assumed and believed (quite strongly) that people who choose to watch/read darker stuff are those who have a happy, conservative, sunny life - which is what makes them crave for the unknown - the murky. I am incredibly drawn to such shows and books too - and while I cringe (the head on the desk made me, ugh) - I just cannot stop.

    I make up for it with Maisel TV, and that 70s show. Phew. We all need balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mrs Maisel is such a relief! I really need to stop watching dark though. It's scary! And I was discussing this with someone the other day - Is all of this fiction or is it real stories? Are people really so bad? o.O

      Delete
  2. Unreal! You said what I've been thinking all along. You've made a believer now that there is a deeper darker plan lying out there created by the Internet brotherhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shooo. You are the one who introduced me to the dark world.

      Delete
  3. Hey! I am high on both Netflix and Amazon Prime, the only reason got myself a credit card! They are so addictive and finished Sacred Games, the noir thriller is the constantly suggestion that I keep getting. Will start watching Powder first episode and then Narco. Just started with the Marvelous Mrs Maisel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep Mrs Maisel handy. You'll have to rely on her humour to get you out of the darkness! :D

      Delete
  4. All those hours you spend staring at your smartphone, tablet or computer might be making you miserable — and what you can do about it. Why our screens make us less happy

    https://twitter.com/TEDTalks/status/1074324205653671936

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi