Skip to main content

2019 Round up!

I love this time of the year! Because, it's time for a round up!

Yay!

I don't know about you, but I had a happening year. Between Graduation, Sherlock's knee surgery, living alone in Singapore, Sherlock moving to Singapore, me trying to find my footing at work and tonnes of resolutions to keep up, I had my hands full. I can look back at the year and say, I am glad we went through what we did, because believe it or not, as cliches go, we came out stronger.

But, what made me the happiest this year was how hard I worked at my non-work related resolutions.

  • I wanted to read 50 books and I completed my 50th book yesterday. It was hard, but I cannot put it in words, how much it was worth the effort. One of my complaints to myself was always that I didn't read enough non-fiction. This year, I read 15. I just cannot get over that. Here are the 50 books I read:



  • I wanted to write a lot this year. I did it in spurts, but I did write. I did a blogathon that I am very proud of. I wrote a total of 39 posts, which honestly and embarrassingly, is more than the sum total of all posts of the 2 previous years. But more importantly, I am now a formal staff writer for The Decision Lab. When I write on the blog, I write for myself, but I realise now, how hard it is to write for an audience. I guess a new challenge is never too bad, huh? Let's see how that gamble goes.
  • Sherlock's going to laugh if and when he reads this, but I really really wanted to be more physically fit this year. There were months when I was serious and there were months when I didn't as much as look at my sports shoes in case they miraculously bind themselves to my feet. I am not proud of this, but it feels better to just accept it rather than to keep rationalising. This carries forward to 2020. I have plans. Big plans.
  • I also wanted to learn more songs on the piano. I did learn a few songs, mostly songs that made me happy. Hoping to continue the streak in 2020!

But most importantly, whether it was the reading or the writing, by biggest learning of 2019 was the importance of consistently doing something. If I write 5 posts, 1 might be good. If I write 30 posts, there will be 6-10 posts I would be proud of. That's still a lot more than 5. 

It was the same thing with books as well. If I read 10 books, I might really like 4 of them. If I read 50 books, I would end up with 20 books I loved! And that's what happened this year. I am in love with so many books, new genres and new authors, that I can't imagine writing a list of best books. I guess that's what you get out of doing a lot of something. You get a lot of good results.

Anyway, that's my gyan for 2019. 

Hope you had a fabulous 2019. And hope you have an even more fabulous year ahead with loads of good memories, fulfilled wishes, time spent with loved ones and relentless pursuit of whatever makes your heart leap with joy!

Cheers and best wishes,
Preeks






Comments

  1. Wow! 50 books is amazing!!
    Loved reading the gyan bit at the end.. makes complete sense.
    Happy 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Preeks ! Agree with you , consistency matters ! I loved reading your a-z challenge !! Congos on being a formal staff writer for Decision Lab. I know you would become a great author and would be going to places !! Wishing you and Sherlock lots of happiness and good health this year !!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi