Skip to main content

Evolutionary Truths

One of my all time favourite snippets from a book has to be the argument about existence of God, from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Context: The book has many hypothetical alien species, one of which is the babel fish. A Babel Fish when put in the ear automatically translates everything someone says in any language to a language you understand. Discussing about the existence of this amazing species, the author says:

“Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. 
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." 
"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED." 
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic. 
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.”

The last line always cracks me up! 

I have a similar argument.

A calf starts walking moments after it is born. So does a puppy, a doe, chickens and almost every other species. They are young and need looking after, but they are not helpless. 

On the other hand, let's look at human babies. Our babies don't know about the existence of their hands till they are 2 months old. That's a milestone for which a doctor congratulates the parents - "Hey, your baby discovered he has hands. Good going! You are on track." They lie on their backs because they know no better till they are a few months old. They are so dependent on others for every need, including to just turn around.

The fact that we are born so helpless and yet evolve into the smartest creatures on the planet has 2 explanations:

  • Either that we are not the smartest species. The other species are far ahead of us in terms of evolution. They have evolved to the point of being born ready to face the world, unlike us. They are faster, have shorter life spans and live better.
  • Or that this was by design. We are made to take a longer, steeper learning curve, so that we eventually become the smart species we claim to be. It takes years of honing to get there.

If it is the first case, that we are not the smartest species - it's not a surprise, is it? Given how we are ruining our planet, we are clearly not smart. We might just be the first to get kicked off it.

If it is the second case, just like the Babel Fish, the fact that this is by design, proves there's a designer out there, proving the existence of a higher power and that could be God. QED.

Before I go on to prove black is white, I must go help my baby Lego go back to sleep. Sleep. Really. You would think someone who is sleepy will just, you know, fall asleep. But no, we must help them fall asleep. But, some day, this guy is going to be solving differential equations. There is God, I tell you.

Comments

  1. Oh, the need for sleep is definitely by design. Even in the Bible, after creating the world, God "rested" on the seventh day. I bet he slept 😁

    Cheers,
    CRD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Content with very useful information. We are awaiting for your next blog.
    birth chart calculator

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi