Skip to main content

Cook in Crisis! :)


LOL...That is easily one of the lamest titles I have ever seen! :)

So here's the deal. When I got my hands on a Robin Cook book after a gap of 4 years, I would be lying if I said I was happy..Because, I was ecstatic..Robin Cook was probably never the best author on earth, and most definitely, not a winner of awards, but it worked for me back then. And so running into his latest book sent my adrenaline into a tizzy, taking me back to those days of confused young minds, debating how to sneak in a book in between hectic coaching classes and teachers driving poor minds crazy! I would be understating if I said I liked Robin Cook..I loved Robin Cook, and I had in fact set the indelible record of reading each and every one of his books, till of course, he decided to write one more. And so I had to read Crisis.

Crisis is a fast paced story set in the suburbs of Boston. The lead protagonist, Dr. Craig Bowman is a hard working dedicated medical practitioner, caught in an increasingly deepening web of expectations and performance, that all medical professionals face. When he is slapped with malpractice lawsuit, a question is raised on his very style of practice - the Concierge Medical Practice. It is up to his brother-in-law, Jack Stapleton to come up with innovative ways of defending him. Jack is a medical examiner from New York, who through his "out-of-the-box" thinking, tries to save the day.

Here's what I liked about the book, apart from the fact that I was reading a Robin Cook after a long time. The book is fast paced, engrossing, with an interesting mix of characters. Craig with his narcissistic attitude, presents the picture of a true medical professional, many of whom deal with these type of troubles. Alexis, plays the role of a perfect wife and a good psychologist at the same time. Jack Stapleton as always is lovable, intelligent and inventive. I also loved the fact that Cook managed deal many complex issue in a relatively simple manner. The issues of Concierge Medicine Vs Traditional fee for practice medicine, insurance companies interfering in the traditional patient-doctor relation, personal gain Vs patient rights, etc are issues that exist in a real human society, and need addressing. Through the arguments of the Defence lawyer and the insurance company attorney, Cook cleverly shows both sides of many issues.

But, I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. After having read some 20 odd Robin Cook books, I was expecting something fresh, something that would not always end in the same way (I won't tell you which way, but if you have read as many Cooks as me, you can easily guess!). It goes without saying that Robin Cook is the undisputed winner in his genre of medical thrillers. After writing so many novels, it is imperative for him to become slightly repetitive. It would have been much more worth praise, if he could have actually managed to break out of his usual style and come up with an ending that would have left readers gasping for more. The other aspect that bothered me was Jack Stapleton. Lovable though he is, Cook has to invent more characters to take his stories forward. Jack cannot always be leaned on to make a story interesting. Unlike his peers like Arthur Hailey and Sheldon, Robin Cook has the privilege of actually living in the time when people are reading his works. He should take more advantage of that and include more elements of everyday life of the 21st Century. He seems to be trying hard to break away from the traditional, but barely manages to do so.

All in all, a great Airport buy! Also a good read for someone who has not read too many of Robin Cook books..I am definitely keeping away from this genre for a while now..!;)

Comments

  1. I read a Robin Cook Book recently
    Something Lethal something.... Don't remember

    But it was about some hospital and injections and stuff... a good read tho

    But I dunno anyone else who writes medical thrillers... So I guess I'l read this one!

    Thanks a lot for taking time to go through my blog. In one way or other you have encouraged me to keep on blogging.
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love Robin Cook's books......have read Coma and Terminal....both are masterpieces, especially Coma is awesome.......:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi