Skip to main content

Of Wishes and Horses!

I wished for something desperately, and it came true..So, I racked my brain for a long time, wondering which of the thousand things I did helped this happen. My first suspect, the zillions of eyelashes I blew off, squeezing my eyes as I fervently prayed for my alluring job to come to me. I can't pinpoint what must have transpired after my full strength blow to the poor little eyelash, but my guess is, it flew across the skies, on the look out for the perfect job for me, landed on the desk of a HR guy in the company of my choice, lodged itself between my resume and his desk, pushed my resume till it was on top of his nose, then did a little jig to catch his attention, and finally threatened to tickle him, till he didn't pick up my file, rush to his senior and get the process going..Yeah, I think that's what happened!

Some of you may find my hypothesis slightly incredulous. Only and only because I respect my audience, I decided to keep aside my eyelash theory. So if it wasn't the eyelashes, maybe it was the mail van! I mean, in the last one year, from what I recall, there were at least 237 odd innocent, red coloured mail vans that crossed my path, and an equal number of black cars that followed. And each of those 237 times, barring maybe once or twice, I remember crossing my fingers at the sighting, making a fervent wish to the forces above, and releasing my hurt fingers from the tight lock only on seeing a black car (Even taxis aren't allowed!)..Again, I am not sure how this works, but I can take an "intelligent" guess..suppose the mail van hears my wish, secretly goes through all the mail lying in its back, narrows down on the mail belonging to a company suitable for me, finds its way to this address, sits on a dharna outside the campus, refusing to part with important mail belonging to the company, unless the resume belonging to a so-called 'Preeti', is processed! Blackmailing always, believe me, always works. So fed up, the company got its act together and voila! I Got my call..:-)

OR..Maybe, it wasn't the mail van or the eyelashes. Maybe, it was the shooting star. At the cost of sounding extremely cliched and K-Serial-ish, yes, I did see shooting stars on two occasions!! And with both the stars, the neurons in my brain had fired extensively, as they procured up a wish to ask for..N in a split second, they come up with the same answer.."The Dream Job". Maybe these dying stars, on their last journey across the universe heard my wish, conjured up a plan, pushed around the planets changing their planetary positions, till they were aligned to act in my favour. Maybe..just maybe..

Or it could have been all those coins I threw in fountains, or the wish I made at 08:08 am on 08.08.08 date, or the millions of times I squeezed my eyes in prayer, or the wish I made while blowing out candles on my birthday cake..?

I don't know, and I don't wish to know..The good part is the wish came true, through all the weird circumstances, it came true! So what now? Am I going to be happy forever, never wish for anything more? Never again look at a mail van and close my eyes? Probably not, because with every wish comes the list of new possibilities, of new wants, of new desires, of things I can dream of now.. Someone said we wish because we need help and we’re scared and we know we may be asking too much. We still wished though because sometimes wishes come true, and when they do, we forget about the myriad times when eyelashes and shooting stars did zilch for you!
Will my new wishes come true? I don't know and I don't want to know..Because, as long as I am in the dark, I maybe living with a fear, but I know there is a hope, the slightest, tiniest glimmer of hope, that the wish may come true after all..So here's to wishing, to eyelashes, to mail vans, to fountains and to shooting stars, to all those unseen forces that helped my wish and so many others wishes come true! :-)

Comments

  1. Heyy,try writing a fable next time,u r very gud at such stuff.(And I liked the Roshomonish treatment of the passage):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb "wish fulfilling" case analysis ..:)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm..Roshomonish style wasn't intentional, but sounds good to be compared to that! And same with the Bachi Karakaria comment..:-) Thanks for the compliments..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha thats what matters ......
    n to find the connection well nobody can explain the randomness in the universe!! so just take the credit of all the good things to urself n for the not so great things, just sit back n point others who are at fault :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayy !! finally Preeti the blogger is back after 2 months..:)
    But, I must say that the wait was totally worth it. It's always a treat to read your blogs. I totally agree with THE COMPULSIVE GIBBERER that you should write fables coz you are really good at it..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup..'m back! N pretty much plan to stay here this time..:)
    @ truth,love...: Absolutely what I have been doing all my life..So, yes, my vicious circle has already started again, wishing, winning, gloating, losing, blaming, wishing..:) N I love it!
    @Others: Fables? Seriously? You know what, I think I will try that too..Apna kya jaa raha hai, padhna toh tumhe haina? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi