Skip to main content

When Music Causes Pain. Literally.

Maybe, I am not fit to be in this time and age. Maybe, I should have been born 30 years back. Maybe, its weird that I love old Hindi songs.

But, nothing, absolutely nothing, takes away from the fact that Hindi film music has deteriorated to the point of no return. And frankly, nothing justifies the illogicality of the lyrics! Thanks to Bangalore traffic, I do spend a considerable amount of time listening to the radio everyday. And I am appalled at the quality.

Take for instance, this gem of a piece. The very famous, "Chal Beta Selfie Le Le Re". I don't know if you knew these were the lyrics of this song:

Aap ki rahe anukampa
Na darr nahi shanka
Nachenge hum chor
Jogi chalaye koi jantar
Khilega tera antar
Tu aaja guru mantar
Ye le le selfie le le re


Exact Translation:

May your compassion be.
Let there be no fear or doubt.
Us thieves, we will dance
Tantric may run a talisman
Your difference will bloom.
Come, you, advise of the teacher.
Come, let's take a selfie.

I think the lyricist started out with a version of Where the World is Without Fear. Somewhere he realized, Salman Khan needs to dance. So, the serious tone needs to be altered slightly and the word dance must be included. Also, holy cow, Jantar rhymes with mantar rhymes with antar. Lets do "make sentences". By the way, people love taking selfies. Done. And we have a winner song on our hands.

I found another lyricist. This genius attended only one class in English grammar - Adjectives. His song is an overload of descriptions. Check this:

Ni gori tera thumka - bada kinky kinky type da
Ni gori tera jhumka - bada funky funky type da
Kateeli teri ankhiyaan - Jaise nouk nakeeli knife da
Ni gori tera nakhra - Bada hanky panky type da
Dance Basanti.

Translation:

White girl, your hip movement Is very Kinky (Kinky enough to say it twice).
White girl, your earring Is very Funky (Funky enough to say it twice)
Criminal like eyes you have Like an extremely sharp knife.
White girl, your tantrums are very hanky-panky.


So Dance. Basanti. Dance.

Such choicest adjectives. Kinky, hanky, funky. And the conclusion requires an IQ higher than 160 to understand. Since she is kinky, funky and hanky-panky, Basanti has resigned to her fate of dancing, whenever someone says, dance.


Just one last song. This I heard this morning on the radio, much to my horror.

Lalla lalla lori - Daaru Ki Katori

Ab main chhota bachcha nahi, Bournvita peeta nai
Ghadi mein saat baje, I'm on daaru ki katori

The exact translation being:

Lalla lalla lori, Alcohol in a cup
I am not a kid anymore. I don't drink Bournvita.
When the clock strikes 7, I am on Alcohol in a cup.

That famous little lullaby twisted into this. Don't drink Bournvita. It's ok. I also don't like it. But don't kill childhood memories of others, macha. This is not done.

Maybe I should change. Maybe, I should accept all these as the new generations music. Maybe, I should try and write like them.

Aaj office mein kaam hai
Par mera mood nahi hai.
Dede tu Guru Mantar.
Kaam ho jaye chumantar.
Par Jab kinky kinky gaana aaye.
Tab selfie leke jaaye.

Now, for some bad music to this. Anyone?

Cheers
Preeks

Comments

  1. hahaha... apart from that sentence 'selfie lele re' i haven't heard any of these songs - i stopped listening to radio and watching tv a long ago. quality has gone to the dogs.

    i love old hindi songs, but if you listen carefully, you'll realise how these old songs are filled with sexual innuendos. of course, that's better than all these lyrics. what i mean is that old songs are quite innocent on the surface but naughty in subtle ways :D i think i should write a post on that. *yes!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You owe me one. One idea for a post in a Blogathon is expensive stuff, girl! :D

      Delete
  2. You are on a ROLL!
    This is going to make me look for lyrics and translate them now :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell you the truth, I am loving this Blogathon! I haven't written in so long, this is like a sudden vent for all the insane thoughts under the hood! :D
      And yes, ever since I discovered the joy in translating Hindi songs, life has become so bearable! Try with Salman Khan songs. They are hilarious! :D

      Delete
  3. Lols!!I always felt Hindi songs were better than mainstream Tamil songs..There are few lyricist like Irshad Kamil who write beautiful songs.You have shown me the funny ones!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess nowadays kids have started writing. Gone are the days of nice lyrics like what gulzar would write.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi