Skip to main content

Ode to the Unreal

He shouted loudly, "Ok. Jump!"

"Next pose. Back to back."

"Next pose. Hands up."

"3 pictures done."

And he handed back the phone to the one being photographed.

I watched amused at the whole sequence of play, while in queue for my own photograph. 

This was in the Pura Lempuyang Temple in Bali. It was beautiful, and why not, after all, it was 3rd on the list of the "Top 10 most Instagrammable locations" in Bali as per Buzzfeed.

Just one catch though. The place looked nothing like what it looked like on Instagram. 

We scratched our heads and stood there, wondering where the water had gone. The Instagram pics clearly showed a temple gateway and its stark, unambiguous reflection in water. Except, there was no water! 

And yet, people were queuing up to take a picture.

If there's anything I have learnt staying in Singapore now, it is that, if there is a queue, you join at the end -  it does not matter if it's for a lottery in the mall, for sweet potato fries at a less known Japanese discount store, or just for the washroom. We love queues and join we must. So, we joined the queue and patiently bode our time, watching this amusing sequence of photoshoots.

A young priest from the temple sat in front of the gate, his supporter holding a huge umbrella over his head. The next-in-line would walk up to him, handover the camera and then walk to the gate. Once there, the priest would start shouting and guiding them through the shoot. 3 pictures. 3 poses. Done. Next?

When it was finally our turn and we handed him our phone was when we realized what a maestro this priest was! He quickly took the phone, and with quick deft of hand, placed a mirror exactly at half the camera length. Lo and behold, you got your water!

Before we knew it, we were following his orders. Jump! Sit back-to-back! Hands in the air! 

Done. Next?

Here's what the actual place is and what it looks like after this genius does his bit:




I walked back so amused by this. 

I was, without any doubt, amazed by this priest and his little mirror innovation that helped so many tourists create great, social-media worthy pics and a seamless experience that they will remember for a while. 

But, here's what amused me the most - our love for showing off on social media has penetrated our lives so much, that we are at peace with images of ourselves at places that do not even exist the way we show them!

There's a Greek word for the this - Kalopsia, meaning the delusion of things appearing more beautiful than they are in reality. And this is exactly what this was.

There was no water. There was no reflection. But, do a Google search for Pura Lempunyang, Bali and all pictures will show you these beautiful images of people jumping in the air and their act caught in a reflection. In water that does not exist. All thanks to the brilliant young priest there!

I am not sure why this bothered me so much. It's not like we never lied before on social media. I mean, filters are nothing but colorful ways of hiding how bad we photograph. I think what rankled me was the fact that we were trying to add something non-existent to the photograph.

At some level, I thought the reality in photos was sacrosanct. If a picture exists, the reality exists. Except, it doesn't any more. So, now thanks to social media, you cannot believe photos or voice or video or claims or tweets or experiences or resumes or profiles or anything anymore!

And that hurts, doesn't it?

I remember walking back hurt, telling my partner, "What will happen when they discover our photos 3000 years later? They'll think there was water here. And they'll search. But they won't get any traces. And they'll go back blaming their generation saying, 'our ancestors were so smart, they had such clean water here, but we didn't preserve it and we lost their hardwork.'" 

We are smarter than our progeny can imagine. We invented places that didn't exist!

Having said that, did I post the picture on Instagram? Of course, I did. With a good caption too. 

Will I get many likes on the pic? I hope so! I am, after all, driven by the delight of seeing the red heart notification.

Am I hypocrite? Oh well, like Oscar Wilde says, My dear fellow, you forget that we are in the native land of the hypocrite.

Anyway, that's all I had to say. 

Oh wait, don't forget to like my post.

Comments

  1. Oh My God. I had no clue myself! I have seen so many versions of this and always marveled at how beautiful and perfect this reflection was!
    But I wonder myself sometimes - this is still a whole new dimension of unreal but even the filters and the saturation adjustments and those perfect angles to make the scene seem better than it is? Technically, all a farce yes? But I guess it's alright at times, as long that thin line between what's true and what's an aberration doesn't fade out completely for us!
    P.S. Lovely shot, I did like it on your Instagram page too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very beautiful place! Even without the water :D
      I agree about the filters - I mean, it's ok to make an existing pic more beautiful. But to add elements that don't exist is not fair! It's like photoshopping your head with celebs.

      I did see your comment on Insta! I so wanted to put a link to this post there, so people know the real story! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Them 90s Things - 1 - iTV Music Channel

Starting a random series of all things from a 90s childhood, just so I have a record of these memories for posterity. Do you remember a channel called iTV?  The 1999 Cricket World Cup was when our extremely middle-class, government quarters colony rose to the challenge of cable tv. Till then, we were happily adjusting our antennas and watching wholesome family entertainment on the two channels of DD1 and DD2. Then came the cable wale bhaiya, with his fancy earring, a few TV guides stacked under his arms along with long ropes of cable, promising unlimited entertainment for the entire colony. And just like that, we all got lured. Cable TV bought with it a lot of changes, many of which I assume will get covered in this series. But, today's post is about 1 particular memory which every 90s kid can relate to. A huge letter I revolving on the TV in anticipation of a new song being chosen. Yep. The iTV generation. Not MTv. It was all about iTV. I still don't know what that channel was

Drumrolls and All That

In crass Hindi, this moment would have been aptly defined as "Laut ke buddhu, ghar ko aaye".  Exact translation would mount to "Fools return home" and that's what this post is. So, after taking a break from work, doing a second Masters, getting a job in Singapore and moving countries, I am back on the blog.  Who would have thunk? An year back, I had no idea this is what I would be doing in an year. But then again, do we know what we will be doing an year from now?  Lesson learnt. No planning, no guessing.  Just keep exploring, keep doing new things, keep learning, keep meeting new people. Things will happen. Trust. Like a fool (who returned home!) So, while I discover this part of my life, Singapore, I thought I need the blog more than the blog needs me. Because moving countries is not in the least as glamorous as it sounds.  There's the whole deal with selling all belongings which you have hoarded lovingly over the years. A

Letters to the Upparwalla!

(Wow! BlogAdda made my day! :) ) Prologue: I have been SO so SO so lazy, busy and blank, that I stopped writing posts altogether. But then, on reflection, I thought I owed this one to the unseen forces above. Hence, this post! LETTER #1 To The Gods Above, 1, "All Roads Lead to Heaven" Road, Heaven - 000000 15.06.2010 From Un Faithful Earthling Somewhere on Earth - Does the pin code matter? Sir/Ma'am, SUB: Complaint Regarding Services Rendered             This is to bring to your kind attention, the highly unsatisfactory services being rendered to me, not at all in keeping with the Contract signed during my release to the Earth. Further, I wish to register a complaint regarding the following key issues: Interaction With Irritating People : According to Clause 4 of my Contract which you have also signed, it was mutually agreed by both parties, that during my peaceful stay on Earth, my interaction with irritating people would be kept to as minimum as possi